At Miko we love what we are doing
It all started with the purchase of two turkey poults in 1965. Today Miko is the only hatchery in Austria and supplies turkey farmers in many European countries. 9 million poults are hatched annually.
We are a medium-sized family business that has never lost its roots. Handshake quality is still important for us. Regardless of large breeding companies, we can live our customer service as we imagine it: reliable and flexible, with an open ear for the concerns and needs. We live that both externally and internally. So we can also rely on our employees. Without their valuable work, the continuous success of the company would not have been possible.
Family business in the 2nd generation
In 1965, father Helmut Miko laid the foundation stone for a company whose animals now grow up in many European countries. Miko is the only turkey hatchery in Austria.
- Helmut Miko starts a turkey brood and growing in Aurach am Hongar. Two turkey poults form the basis and he will continue his employment in an electricity supply company for another ten years. His wife Margarete is at his side during the hard construction work.
- In Haslau near Zipf, a ruin with 6 hectares of land is acquired and first a hatchery building and then the residential building is built.
- The company grows, and the rate of hatched poults increases in the double-digit percentage range every year. A hatchery hall is built.
- The turkey barn is converted into a hatchery building . This makes us the only turkey hatchery where the incubation and hatching part are separated in different buildings. A unique concept that goes around the world.
- Expansion of the incubation part.
- The hatchery is brought up to the latest technical and hygienic standards, the preliminary brood is expanded again, and a truck garage is built.
- Certifications according to DIN EN ISO 9001: 2000-12 and HACCP
- Expansion of the incuabation capacity
- Acquisition of hatchery Pöttelsdorf, capacity Zipf: 8 - 8.5 million poults a year, capacity Pöttelsdorf: 2.5 million poults a year. Laboratory operation starts.
- The truck garage will be converted into another incubation room and equipped with seven incubators.
- An own laboratory building is built.
- Pre-brood extension: candling- and transfer machine, Spides (Short Period Incubation During Egg Storage) room for preheating the hatching eggs
- Extension of the laboratory in the form of Elisa testing to mycoplasmas
- Extension of the hatching building
Years of experience with turkey poults